Those of you who have been paying attention should have noticed that I never got around to posting TAS-T10-FMD-2008 – #1. Well, it’s been difficult to choose. There’s been a lot of back and forth here at the Siren. We’ve had internal voting, filibusters, and an arm wrestling tournament, all to no avail. But in the end we decided that the #1 free music download should be your choice. So let’s hear them. Send in links to the best/weirdest stuff you’ve found online. Or the stuff that you’ve made on your own, that’s cool too. But first some ground rules.
1. The download must be free in nature. I don’t want a bunch of crap Mediafire links to ripped versions of that last TV On The Radio album. Downloads should be originally provided either by the artist, label, or archivists (by archivists I mean someone with an appreciation for music who has made available online music from a source not widely available—think of the WFMU blog for example)
2. Put some effort into it. Links to stuff that everyone already knows about are boring. NIN’s The Slip was a great album but let’s really dig for some good stuff. Imagine getting on your hands and knees at your favorite record store and going through all the records that are kept in boxes on the floor. The ones UNDERNEATH the regularly shelved ones. You know the ones I’m talking about. The ones that aren’t even PRICED because the manager never expected to sell them.
3. Tell us why you picked it. Why do you think it’s interesting? Nothing long, just a little context.
4. Netiquette. If you found the link on another blog please let us know what it is and we’ll throw them some propers.
5. Have fun with it. It doesn’t even have to be music! Just vaguely musical in nature. Or hell, just something weird and interesting. (Remember that Longmont Potion Castle stuff I featured last year?)
So there it is. You can either post your links with a brief summary in the comments, or you can email them to me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org